Skip to main content

Catholic culture and church versus secular culture.


Fr. John Higgins


The difference between Catholic culture and church, versus secular culture.


One evening I was doing a session with our Confirmation Students. They had written questions on small pieces of paper and they were put into a basket. We met in the church and a Priest from Cameroon, Fr. Khumbah was with us. He and I had a great relationship and we often laughed together. We sat on stools in front of the Altar and answered the questions. One of them was "Do you believe in EQUALITY?" I smiled and asked this African Priest. He said "No, of course not. Fr. John is not nearly as smart as me, but I am fatter than him!" The youngsters looked shocked. He gave them a big smile and they laughed. He said "It depends on what you mean by "equality". We are all equal in our human dignity, but some people are beautiful like me and some are pasty white like Fr. John! The students looked a little shocked. He said "Now is that not ridiculous?" I said "We are not exactly alike, so we are not absolutely equal. But we enjoy the differences between us! Can you imagine if everyone in the world was exactly like you? Wouldn't the world be boring?" They looked confused. I said "I am very glad, for example, that there are difference between males and females, that we have Mexican food, sushi, burgers, pizza and more here in our city." "That is what makes life interesting", said Fr. Kumbah, "We are many colors, many sizes and shapes and we can all be a family in Christ! But thank God we are all different too!" 


With that I think they got the point. The next question was: "Why does the Catholic Church hate gay people?" We had even more fun with that one. 


Secular culture will lie about what we believe and who we are as Catholics. It's good to call them out on this whenever we can!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From throwing rocks at Catholics to entering the Church in more ways than one! My Conversion Story I am a Convert to the Catholic faith. I grew up in Southern California as a Methodist and became Catholic when I was 19. As a kid I used to go to my buddy Eddy’s house on Sunday mornings. He lived across the street from a big Catholc Church, St. Emydius in Lynwood, CA. He was Presbyterian. We were little scoundrels and had no idea why, but we would throw rocks at the Catholics as they drove their cars into the parking lot. One day in the hot summer of the early 1960s I went to his house. Eddy wasn’t home. So,  I walked across the street and saw the doors of that Catholic Church open. I went inside. They had a little place where you could wash your hands and face. I looked around inside the dark cool Church. There were people inside! It wasn’t even Sunday and there were people praying! I thought it must be some kind of special occasion so I waited for a “service” to start. There was none.
Hello to all This is my first blog post.    I am a Catholic Priest in Ministry in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles. I was Ordained in 1981 by Timothy Cardinal Manning. I've been assigned to parishes all over the Archdiocese, taught Catholic Church History and Doctrine, been a Jail Chaplain (Part time), Chaplain for Law Enforcement and am currently Chaplain for the Downey Firefighters. I have been at this Parish as Pastor since 2003. I just retired as Pastor and have begun a new phase of ministry in which I can minister, but don't have to do administration.  I speak fairly good English, for a guy who was born in Indiana and raised in California. I also speak fairly good German and Spanish.  So far I've filled in for a Pastor who was on vacation, gone to Scotland where I am the official "Padre in Residence" in a Castle owned by a family in Texas, done German Mass in Los Angeles and Anaheim on a few occasions and minister to the people where I live in their Sacramental
The Miracle in the Emergency Room How would you react if you saw a dead man suddenly come back to life? I am Pastor Emeritus (Retired) of St. Raymond Nonnatus Church in Downey, Calif., a city in southeast Los Angeles County. But at the time this happened I was stationed at St. Raphael Parish in Goleta (just west of Santa Barbara) CA. and very near Goleta Valley Hospital. I had just arrived at a home in the hills to have a Mass with a group of young adults to celebrate Mass and then enjoy a barbeque following. But I got a call from the hospital. Paramedics had brought in an older gentleman who had suffered a heart attack. I rushed back down the hill to Goleta Valley Community Hospital. I remember walking into the Emergency Room. I knew the nurse in charge there, and she knew me. I was teaching her son at the local Catholic High School. She and her husband and their family were members of his parish, and she would call him whenever emergencies arrived at the hospital. I can remember this