Skip to main content
Indulgences in the Catholic Church.
As a Convert from Methodism I found "indulgences" to be a difficult idea to grasp. But a very simple, older Priest who is now deceased, gave me a simple but clear understanding. It's been enough for me for 45 years now.
An indulgence is a form of love, not from us to God, but from God to us. Or it can be a form of love from people who truly care about us to us.
I imagine purgatory not as a "place" somewhere in the universe with material objects and material torture, but as the experience of sometimes painful letting go of things that we have no business owning, like resentment, gossip, selfishness, an addiction to something spiritually, mentally or physically unhealthy. It is a realization of exactly who we are and the pain and suffering that we have inflicted on ourselves trying to cling to sin and the pain and suffering that we have inflicted on others because of our self-will. Jesus looks us deeply into our soul and says how much He loves us, but that we must let go of all of this and realize that only He can take those away from us, but we have to let go. An "Indulgence" is the experience of God's love and the love of others who support us and encourage us to let go of those things. Imagine, of you will, that you have a son or a daughter or another family member who is clinging to a painful anger at someone. They suffer because they cling to that anger and go over it and over it in their mind. They remember things that the person did to them and tell the story over and over again because they are so hurt. You finally go to them and say: "You have to kick that person out of your head. You are letting that person live rent free there!" You do it because you see it's tormenting your loved one. The finally get it and you help them let go of those memories not because they didn't happen or that they are now OK with them, but because these memories are torturing them. Your love helps them to be free of that and they finally go on with a more joyful life.
I think Purgatory starts right now in this life in such things. An indulgence is God's love and the love of others helping us let go of the sins and character defects that keep us from soaring with God in eternal love and freedom.
I have a meditation on my YouTube channel that is designed for letting go of resentments and sins YouTube FrJohnRCC

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From throwing rocks at Catholics to entering the Church in more ways than one! My Conversion Story I am a Convert to the Catholic faith. I grew up in Southern California as a Methodist and became Catholic when I was 19. As a kid I used to go to my buddy Eddy’s house on Sunday mornings. He lived across the street from a big Catholc Church, St. Emydius in Lynwood, CA. He was Presbyterian. We were little scoundrels and had no idea why, but we would throw rocks at the Catholics as they drove their cars into the parking lot. One day in the hot summer of the early 1960s I went to his house. Eddy wasn’t home. So,  I walked across the street and saw the doors of that Catholic Church open. I went inside. They had a little place where you could wash your hands and face. I looked around inside the dark cool Church. There were people inside! It wasn’t even Sunday and there were people praying! I thought it must be some kind of special occasion so I waited for a “service” to start. There was none.
Hello to all This is my first blog post.    I am a Catholic Priest in Ministry in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles. I was Ordained in 1981 by Timothy Cardinal Manning. I've been assigned to parishes all over the Archdiocese, taught Catholic Church History and Doctrine, been a Jail Chaplain (Part time), Chaplain for Law Enforcement and am currently Chaplain for the Downey Firefighters. I have been at this Parish as Pastor since 2003. I just retired as Pastor and have begun a new phase of ministry in which I can minister, but don't have to do administration.  I speak fairly good English, for a guy who was born in Indiana and raised in California. I also speak fairly good German and Spanish.  So far I've filled in for a Pastor who was on vacation, gone to Scotland where I am the official "Padre in Residence" in a Castle owned by a family in Texas, done German Mass in Los Angeles and Anaheim on a few occasions and minister to the people where I live in their Sacramental
The Miracle in the Emergency Room How would you react if you saw a dead man suddenly come back to life? I am Pastor Emeritus (Retired) of St. Raymond Nonnatus Church in Downey, Calif., a city in southeast Los Angeles County. But at the time this happened I was stationed at St. Raphael Parish in Goleta (just west of Santa Barbara) CA. and very near Goleta Valley Hospital. I had just arrived at a home in the hills to have a Mass with a group of young adults to celebrate Mass and then enjoy a barbeque following. But I got a call from the hospital. Paramedics had brought in an older gentleman who had suffered a heart attack. I rushed back down the hill to Goleta Valley Community Hospital. I remember walking into the Emergency Room. I knew the nurse in charge there, and she knew me. I was teaching her son at the local Catholic High School. She and her husband and their family were members of his parish, and she would call him whenever emergencies arrived at the hospital. I can remember this